ADSM-L

Re: AIX and async I/O--additional info

2003-04-24 11:18:56
Subject: Re: AIX and async I/O--additional info
From: "PINNI, BALANAND (SBCSI)" <bp3965 AT SBC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:18:29 -0500
Direct I/O does not enhance raw I/O performance. Raw I/O performance is
still slightly faster than direct I/O, but if you want the benefits of a JFS
and enhanced performance, direct I/O is highly recommended

Summary
Direct I/O requires substantially fewer CPU cycles than regular I/O.
I/O-intensive applications that do not get much benefit from the caching
provided by regular I/O can enhance performance by using direct I/O. The
benefits of direct I/O will grow in the future as increases in CPU speeds
continue to outpace increases in memory speeds.

What types of programs are good candidates for direct I/O? Programs that are
typically CPU-limited and perform lots of disk I/O. "Technical" codes that
have large sequential I/Os are good candidates. Applications that do
numerous small I/Os will typically see less performance benefit, because
direct I/O cannot do read ahead or write behind. Applications that have
benefited from striping are also good candidates.

This is on the web .

Balanand Pinni