ADSM-L

Re: Disaster recovery test

2003-03-08 10:29:09
Subject: Re: Disaster recovery test
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 09:26:24 -0600
Congratulations on learning from your DR experience.

The short answer is no.  If it isn't in the database, you cannot rebuild the
database from tapes.

There was as discussion on the list not long ago about the 'daily
procedure', the rough cut
was similar to what we use in our daily backup script:

backup stg diskdata copypool wait=y
backup stg tapedata copypool wait=y
move drmedia * wherest=courier wait=y --- DRM
backup devconfig
backup volhist
delete volhist type=all todate=today-62
delete volhist type=db todate=today-2
backup db dev=ltoclass1 scratch=y type=full wait=y
/* The move below doesn't do anything ususally, as the tape is still
mounted, that is why it is done again after expire inventory */
move drmedia * wherestate=mo rem=bulk wait=yes --- DRM
prepare wait=yes --- DRM
update stg diskdata hi=0 lo=0
/* Expire Inventory is done to (1) expire inventory ... duh, and (2) allow a
wait tiome for the migration to pretty much complete for diskdata to go to
tapepool */
expire inventory wait=yes
update stg diskdata hi=20 lo=3 cache=y
move drmedia * wherestate=courierr wait=yes --- DRM
move drmedia * wherestate=mo rem=bulk wait=yes --- DRM
move drmedia * wherest=notmo wait=yes rem=bulk --- DRM

All the entries with " --- DRM" after them are DRM related of course.

As ususal, YMMV, but does this help a little?
And if someone else has a better method, I am all ears! ... JC