ADSM-L

ITSM Vs. Veritas NBU

2002-11-09 11:17:37
Subject: ITSM Vs. Veritas NBU
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 10:17:02 -0600
Hi,

Attached below is a news release that has just come out or will be
coming out next week.  In addition, I have the detailed PDF document of
the independent study that was done comparing the 2 products.  I
wouldn't call it a slam dunk win for ITSM but it was a very clear victory.

I am looking forward to some discussion on this list about the report.
I think there are a couple of areas that the test was not fair (favored
Veritas) but ITSM won anyway, but I will bring that up after some people
have looked over the report.

If anyone is interested I can send them copies of the PDF file.  Also, I
will be putting on my web site shortly (by this evening),
http://mdrconsult.com and you will be able to get it from there as well.

In addition to the press release below and the PDF report there are two
other files, a Power Point presentation and a FAQ about the study.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Demonstrates Critical Advantages Over NetBackup

NEW YORK CITY, NY, October XX, 2002 - Results of recently completed benchmark
tests administered by analyst firm Progressive Strategies show IBM Tivoli
Storage Manager offering distinct advantages in backup and restore performance
over VERITAS NetBackup.

"Tivoli has always maintained that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager's advantages in performance and tape
resource conservation accrue over time," explains Barry Cohen, Project Director at Progressive
Strategies. "Our test scenario bears that out. This product is much better suited to the realities that
companies encounter today and will encounter in the future in their data management and storage
environments," said Craig Norris, analyst with Progressive Strategies. "NetBackup is unquestionably
a solid product, however, limitations integral to its architecture and its traditional approach to backup and
restore processes become problematic as the amount of data in a business grows, and as the IT infrastructure
evolves to manage it all."

This ambitious benchmark test sought to establish a realistic business data
management scenario by regularly backing up data from multiple client computers
over a month long period. The test results reveal that over this more realistic
time period, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager exhibits significantly better
performance in overall backup and restore in comparison to Veritas NetBackup.
In these tests, the complete backup cycle was 36% faster for IBM Tivoli Storage
Manager, and it was 66% faster than NetBackup in restore tests. NetBackup sent
considerably more data over the network and used four times more tape media to
hold that data over the length of the testing period.
Descriptions of the benchmark and results of the tests are presented as an
appendix to an in-depth research report that examines features and functions of
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager and compares them with NetBackup. The report
examines how the products address several key areas critical to backup and
restore solutions for business data. Its primary focus is on product
architecture and its impact on cost of ownership and return on investment, the
flexibility to adapt to rapidly evolving business requirements, and the cost
benefits derived from implementing standards-based end-to-end solutions. The
report concludes that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager offers the data protection
solution more appropriate to what businesses require today.

Both VERITAS and IBM Tivoli demonstrate a firm grasp of the challenges facing
modern businesses. These challenges include burgeoning data and complex,
ever-expanding storage infrastructures. However, the Progressive Strategies
report illustrates how IBM Tivoli Storage Manager's architecture is better
suited to handle these challenges in managing business data.

"We found that IBM Tivoli Storage Manager provides a superior solution to all the most
critical challenges we considered," says Norris. "The foresight IBM Tivoli Software put
into designing IBM Tivoli Storage Manager  is clearly paying off as businesses with expanding
backup requirements are finding its capabilities indispensable."
The Business Strategy Report is available from the Progressive Strategies Web
site at [URL TBD].

###