ADSM-L

Re: Problem reading a backup set tape on UNIX client

2002-09-20 13:26:51
Subject: Re: Problem reading a backup set tape on UNIX client
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:20:48 -0400
Doug,

You can't do that, or at least that's what I was told.  If you create the
backupset on a Win server, you can only perform a local backupset restore
on a Win server.  Creating a backupset on a Win server and attempting to
restore locally on a Unix client doesn't work (different tape formats).

Regards,

-Lloyd

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:02:03 -0300
Doug Thomson <dbthomson AT GOV.PE DOT CA> wrote:

> I've created a DLT backup set tape on the TSM Server running Windows NT.
>  I am able to query the contents of the backup set on the Windows TSM
> Server.
>
> When I take the DLT tape drive containing the backup set tape  to a
> UNIX client machine and try to query the contents of the backup set I
> get a communications protocol error.
>
> I've mounted the tape device on the UNIX client  and when I give it the
> query command the tape starts moving but I get the error message.
>
> Am I missing something when I create the tape or when I setup the
> query?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:585-389-1260    fax:585-389-1267