ADSM-L

Re: don´t aynone know anything about Encryption in TSM.

2002-04-02 10:30:56
Subject: Re: don´t aynone know anything about Encryption in TSM.
From: Justin Derrick <jderrick AT CANADA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:30:49 -0500
My understanding from what I've read (I've never used it) is...

Clients set an encryption key (password) on the files they'd like to protect.
Files are sent to the TSM server, encrypted.
The TSM server does NOT have the encryption key, although the key may be
saved to disk on a client's system.**
Files are stored on the TSM server's storagepools, encrypted.
The TSM database is NOT encrypted during backups.
Backups (copystoragepools) of the user data ARE encrypted, because the only
version TSM has is encrypted.
Restores on the user end REQUIRE the key that was used to encrypt the file,
or else the data is lost forever.

** (Although, it can tell that you don't have the correct key, as evidenced
by Message # ANS1469E, which is interesting, and probably a weakness, since
your adversary will know if they got the correct key  in a brute-force
attack.)

To answer your question more directly...

If someone were to 'steal' your tapes and restore the TSM server, they
could do so successfully, but they could not decrypt your files without the
original key.  (Obviously, this doesn't include the possibility of
cryptanalysis or brute-force attacks on the encryption method.)

The important part to remember is that you suddenly need a key management
solution.  Backing up your data securely isn't of much value if the only
person in the organization who has the keys to those files finds themselves
under the wheels of a bus.

Here's some suggested reading (TSM 4.1 Manuals)

Installing the Clients, Chapter 8, under 'Encryptkey', and Include Options.
(You're correct though, documentation on the Encryption methodology is sparse.)

If you really want to deeply immerse yourself in this, check out 'Applied
Cryptography' and get a feeling for how complex the situation really is.

-JD.