ADSM-L

Re: Update on tape labelling problems

2002-03-26 11:05:36
Subject: Re: Update on tape labelling problems
From: Lisa Cabanas <CABANL AT MODOT DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:19:30 -0600
Steve-- from my experience, you are better off just sending the label
failures back.  We kept relabelling the Imations, and even though we got
most of them (eventually) labelled, they have been failing since then
(thankfully, no lost data).

lisa

                    Steve Harris
                    <[email protected]       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                    LD.GOV.AU>                   cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist         Subject:     Update on tape
labelling problems
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    03/25/2002 07:10 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Hi all

You will recall my post of a week ago about errors labelling 3590 tapes.
Well, I've labelled 30 IBM and 80 Imation tapes.
All 30 IBM tapes labelled flawlessly.
The Imations had a failure rate of 1 in 4, and in one batch of 10 I had
four consecutive failures.
Of those Imation tapes that labelled first time, only a couple have been
used, but one of those had a write error at 7% full.
I haven't tried relabelling the failures yet, so I don't know how sucessful
this will be.  When you consider the cost of my babysitting the label
process,
(surprisingly the whole label process fails if one tape has an error and
volrange was specified), the Imations look like a false bargain.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.