ADSM-L

Re: Does compression cause retries?

2001-10-10 18:26:30
Subject: Re: Does compression cause retries?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:24:39 +0300
It does not matter at all are you using compression or not. The problem is
how much the file is changing and what serialization is set in the copy
group.
If it is SHRSTatic or SHRDYnamic and the file is changing during all
attempts "the sucker" :-) will try up to changingretries (from dsm.opt)
times. After that it will either give up or perform some kind of backup. If
you set serialization of STatic or DYnamic no retries will take place - try
once and see what will happen.
I've made a test recently and for ~250MB file which was constantly modified
during backup (with default SHRSTatic setting) I got 4 retries and after
over 1GB was sent to server the scheduler gave up.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM> on 10.10.2001 23:35:17