ADSM-L

Re: How do I install multiple TSM instances on AIX?

2001-09-25 18:48:43
Subject: Re: How do I install multiple TSM instances on AIX?
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:45:51 -0600
        Currently, 2 of our hosts have 2 TSM servers on them. We did it this
way to keep database growth down to a reasonable level.

        Here are some of my personal notes from the last time we did it.
Note that it was back in the ADSM days, so the paths will need changing, but
the variable names have remained the same.

        In our case, we duplicated the configuration of the first server
over to the second instance and then tweaked it. This way we had the same
management classes. In our configuration, we also don't use dynamic drive
sharing, each of the TSM servers has a fixed number of drives that are it's
own. Of course, we can change the distribution with some simple
'define/delete drive' commands.

Use at your own risk....

________________________

Create the new directory structure for the new server.
 mkdir /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin2

Copy over the current config file.
 cp usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/dsmserv.opt /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin2/dsmserv.opt

Set up the scripts & aliases in .kshrc to set environment variables
depending on which server you want to start/connect-to.
 export DSMSERV_CONFIG=/usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin2/dsmserv.opt
 export DSMSERV_DIR=/usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin

Change MOTD to notify users of 2 servers and how to get into them.

Change these dsmserv.opt attributes to be different from the first server
    TCPPort 1500
    httpport 1580
    VOLUMEHistory  /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/vol.hist1
    DEVCONFig  /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/dev.config1

Copy the current stanza in the client dsm.sys file to a new stanza.
Change the TCPPORT and SERVERNAME to connect to the correct TCP port for the
new instance.

Create new filesystems.

Format the new database and logs for ADSM.
 dsmfmt -db /ADSM2/dbvol1/adsm2dbvol1
 dsmfmt -log /ADSM2/logvol1/adsm2ogvol1

initialize an adsm server on the new devices
 cd to the new server directory
 dsmserv format 1 logfile 1 dbfile
 this will create the dsmserv.dsk file.

bring up the server
dsmserv

register licenses

define new logical library, device and tape drives.
***** make sure private and scratch categories are different &
that you don't define the drives to the second instance until you delete it
from the first.*****

Create storage pools, diskpools and copypools
 create jfs filesystems
 dsmfmt the devices
 dsmfmt -data /ADSM2/stgpool1/adsm2stgpool1

define the storage pools to ADSM
 define stg...
 define vol...

make a copy of the server definitions on the old server.
export server dev=3590dev scratch=yes

checkout libvol tapelib2 B00013

import the server definitions to the new server.
 checkin libvol tapelib2b B00013 stat=private devt=3590
 import server vol=B00013 dev=3590dev

change serversettings
 set servername ADSMSERV5B
 SET LICENSEAUDITPERIOD 8
  set accounting on
 SET WEBAUTHTIMEOUT 60

Delete all unneeded schedules

Update all management classes to point to new storagepools.

change the tape checkin and other scripts to new tape series.

Delete all nodes

checkin tapes for new server

Ben