ADSM-L

TSM 3.7 assigns new filespace names?

2001-03-19 15:05:00
Subject: TSM 3.7 assigns new filespace names?
From: Rik Foote <Rik_Foote AT WESTPACTRUST.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:04:02 +1200
Gidday all.

I have in the last week upgraded from ADSM 3.1.2.50 to TSM 3.7.4.
Everything seems to be going okay, until I try to retrieve some oracle data
archived under ADSM 3.1.

The data was in a filesystem that had never been incrementally backed up,
only archived from, so it seems ADSM was storing it under a filespace name
of root (/), the default perhaps? The archives taken since the TSM 3.7
upgrade are being stored in a filespace name that matches the
filesystem/mountpoint name, called /db/u04.

The trouble is, I can't find any way to access the old files with the same
path name that were stored under "/" filespace. I have tried (as per the
ADSM Concepts manual) using many combinations of curly brackets (e.g.
"{/xx/xx}/yyy") and/or wildcards with no success. I cannot get anything to
show up except archives performed since the upgrade.

The really, really annoying thing is that when I go through the UNIX GUI on
the client I can see all the data is definitely still there. Only problem
is restoring through the GUI is to be avoided at all costs as it is soooooo
bloody slow. Command line restore is absolutely the way to go.

So to use the command line I am reduced to searching through the GUI for
the exact date and time of the archive I want to restore from (its
displayed in the GUI next to each file) and using RETRIEVE with the
FROMDATE, FROMTIME, TODATE and TOTIME parameters, along with PICK to retain
some sort of finer control. In other words, I am completely unable to use
any sort of file specification for the source files.

Has anyone else come across this particular problem? I will be bugging it
to Tivoli Support today and will keep the list posted on the results.

If you've only recently upgraded from 3.1 to 3.7, it might pay to try and
access some of your old archived data with a Q ARCH and see what you get.

FYI, my environments are SUN Solaris 2.6 and 2.7, server is TSM 3.7.4,
clients are TSM 3.7.2.

Rik Foote
Storage Management
IBM NZ
The contents of this e-mail are confidential.
The contents of this e-mail are confidential.
If you have received this communication by mistake,
please advise the sender immediately and delete the message and
any attachments.
The views expressed in this e-mail are not necessarily the views of
Westpac Banking Corporation.
Westpac Banking Corporation is incorporated in New South Wales, Australia.