ADSM-L

Re: restoring deleted file

1999-06-09 12:12:08
Subject: Re: restoring deleted file
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 18:12:08 +0200
Marcos,

do You mean, You did delete the file in question by accident, so You need
to restore it, but You did an (incremental) backup inbetween, or is the
file actually gone from ADSM?

In the first case, You need not worry: the last copy of the file is merely
made "inactive", so there is no "active" version of the file any more;
since only active versions are shown by default, You will not see it unless
You tell ADSM to "Show Active and Inactive Versions" (which is an option in
one of the pull down menues of the GUI client). After You do this, You will
be able to see and restore the file You deleted.

While active files are kept infinitely (unless the original gets modified
or deleted), there are limits for inactive versions, which are specified by
Your ADSM administrator. Usually, there is a very large time limit how long
to keep the last version of a deleted file.

Once one of the limits is reached, the file gets "expired" by ADSM: ADSM
will remove the definition of the version from its database, and mark the
space that this version occupies on a tape as unused. Some time later (when
tape occupancy gets low enough), the tape gets "reclaimed", i.e., all files
still on the tape will be moved to other tapes, and the tape will be marked
empty, so it may be filled again.

It is the time between expiration of Your last version and rewriting the
tape that the very laborious procedure of restoring the ADSM DB to an
earlier version, ..., that other listers mentioned, will work; but You
should not need to do it, since there is usually plenty of time before ADSM
expires Your last version of a file.

HTH - Alfred Novacek

>        Hello all!
>
>        My name is Mark, and I am a virtual ADSM virgin. I've run into a
>problem that maybe you all can help with. I'm running ADSM version 3.1.2.1
>with AIX version 4.3.2 on an IBM R/S 6000. I keep 14 versions of the files
>that I backup. The problem is that I need to restore a version of the file
>that ADSM has already deleted. How do I go about it???
>
>Thanks to all in advance.
>
>Marcos A. Soto
>Systems Software Spec.II
>Univetsity of Texas El Paso
>(915) 747-6735
>msoto AT miners.utep DOT edu

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Economics and Social Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at