ADSM-L

Re: Request for Proposal - New ADSM Server

1999-05-28 08:21:44
Subject: Re: Request for Proposal - New ADSM Server
From: Roger Hohmann <Roger_Hohmann AT WESTLB DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 14:21:44 +0200
We are using ADSM on various platforms, so here are my cents:

ADSM on AIX and Solaris runs ok. No problems. Don't know if NT is robust enough,
we have only smaller installations on NT. But - you don't have anything like
telnet to go on nt, so remote admin is easier on unix.

AIX is the first develop platform, so we prefer Aix. We didn't use hpux, and I
think there are not too much installations. I've heard adsm doesn't perform well
on hp.

We have DLT4000, DLT7000 in STK9710 and 3590 in 3494. With DLT4000, we had no
real problems, but with DLT7000, we had various errors with media, scsi and
acsls
(which is stk's library management sw). If you search the list, you will find
customers with similar problems, others without.

With 3494/3590 we have no problems at all after upgrading the microcode. Very
expensive, buy it, install it, forget it.

(From my distant point of view): If I had 400 desktop clients with low change
activity, I would use a smaller RS6K (F40?) with a disk cache which will take
all
average overnight backups and migrate it to Magstar Tape. I use disk cache
because otherwise each concurrent session needs one tape drive. But it depends
if
you need to be scalable.

Regards

Roger