ADSM-L

Re: Expire inventory in 3.1.2.1

1998-12-23 03:30:25
Subject: Re: Expire inventory in 3.1.2.1
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:30:25 +0100
Hi,

same experience; the first run of EXPIRE INVENTORY since upgrading to
3.1.2.1 (from 3.1.1.5) started on last Saturday and is still running
(DB is 20 GB). It used to take about 12 hours before upgrading. It used
to examine and delete about 1 million objects, up to now it has examined
4.5 million and deleted 2 million objects. Server is getting really slow,
sometimes during nightly backup, session are rejected due to maximum
number of sessions (60) exceeded; never had that before. My server
platform is AIX 3.1.

Perhaps this behaviour is due to APAR IX81990, which is fixed in 3.1.2.1.
The README.SRV says:

| IX81990 FILES NOT EXPIRING DURING EXPIRATION
|
|  Inactive files are not expiraing according to the copy group
|  definition for retain extra versions. This may cause excessive
|  tape usage and the db to grow.

Anyway, I think, I cancel that process in order to have a stable service
during the following unattended days.

Regards,

Reinhard

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfälische Wilhelms-UniversiReinhard
Mersch                        Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität