ADSM-L

Re: Can a Migration Process use more than 1 drive?

1998-12-16 09:36:18
Subject: Re: Can a Migration Process use more than 1 drive?
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:36:18 -0600
     With virtual node name you would have to remember who owned what...
     under which name specifics are stored... potential for a screw up in a
     pressure recovery situation!  Plus each additional node name would
     suck up a license for a client node.

     What might be easier is to split your diskpool into 4 seperate ones.
     Take your management class(s) and create 4 (say by adding a 1,2,3 or 4
     on the end) then each mgmtclass would point to a specific diskpool.
     Each diskpool would have a migration process of 1 but then if data
     were in each diskpool you would have 4 migration processes running at
     the same time.

     On the client you would have to split the data and bind it to the
     different management classes by using your include statements.  By
     filespace sounds like a good level at which to seperate the data...

     Now that I've said all that let me add that on our NOVELL servers we
     have noticed that it is faster to run a single incremental against the
     client than to run multiple, concurrent incrementals (say by logical
     volume)  in some cases twice as fast 'cause with the multiple,
     concurrent incrementals the server just beat itself to death dealing
     with  lock contention.
     You might try just letting a single task run against your client...

     Now with archives it is a different story!  By far you can get more
     data moved with multiple, concurrent sessions but there isn't the mass
     adsm db overhead with archives that there is with incrementals.

     hope this helps,
                     later,
                           Dwight