ADSM-L

Re: Multiple backup processes waiting for the same input t

1998-06-03 08:12:41
Subject: Re: Multiple backup processes waiting for the same input t
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 07:12:41 -0500
     Do you buffer your backups to a diskpool ?  If so perform your copy
     storage pool before you migrate to tape, then all the required data
     will still be on disk.

     Our MVS ADSM servers run to 3490 tapes but our AIX ADSM servers run
     with 3590's.  Some of these 3590's will have 100,000+ files on them...
     talk about potential for long waits by multiple processes wanting the
     same tape.

     All I can say about the copy storage pool is it runs an incremental
     against the primary storage pool, so if you buffer fresh backups into
     disk pools the only tapes mounted in a copy storage pool operation
     should be output tapes. (provided you ensure the copy runs daily, that
     you run the copy before performing a migration of the disk pool to a
     tape pool, and that your disk pool didn't fill and  start auto
     migrating sometime during your normal backup window...)

     later,
           Dwight