ADSM-L

Re: Client Session Stuck in MEDIAW Status During Migration

1998-03-18 11:10:09
Subject: Re: Client Session Stuck in MEDIAW Status During Migration
From: "Rushton, John D" <john.d.rushton AT LMCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:10:09 -0500
Jeff,
From what I have been able to absorb from my ADSM experiences is that
the sessions will go into MediaW when there is not enough space on the
storage pool (that the management class is associated with) to hold the
dataset currently being backed up.   The dataset will then be backed up
to the next storage pool in the hierarchy - usually tape.   If you have
a limited number of tape drives, you will get numerous sessions going
into MediaW if your disk storage pool is full.

Once the dataset for each session that was forced to go to the next pool
in the hierarchy is backed up, then the succeeding datasets for that
session should go to the disk storage pool providing that there is
sufficient space.   However, if you've got a lot of sessions in MediaW
and few tape drives available, this may take awhile.    A suggestion may
be that once your disk storage pool is down to 85% or so, to cancel the
migration task so that the session(s) needing the tape drive can get it.

Hope this helps...
John Rushton
Lockheed Martin