ADSM-L

Update Volume Command Hangs

1998-02-25 16:28:03
Subject: Update Volume Command Hangs
From: "Glass, Peter" <Peter.K.Glass AT NORWEST DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:28:03 -0600
On our Command Line Interface to the V2R1.13 MVS Server, we've just
begun to encounter a problem where the update volume command just hangs.
I had 6 tape volumes for which I needed to change the access mode. The
first few took a couple of minutes to update, which is longer than I've
seen before, then the next command never completed. After waiting about
45 minutes, I made several  unsuccessful attempts at cancelling the
session, and finally had to stop/restart the server to get rid of the
hung session. Afterwards, I was able to successfully change the access
mode on the remaining tape volumes. This afternoon, I'm having the same
problem, only this time, I'm allowing the hung session to just sit, out
of curiosity as to whether the command will ever complete at all, or at
least sometime in the next several hours. Previously, we've always had
instantaneous responses to the upd v command. Also, in this case, server
activity is low, just an occasional maintenance process or session comes
in, and these seem to be running fine. And the database cache % stays
well above the 98 figure.
Does anybody have any ideas?