ADSM-L

Re: Planning for tape requirements for MVS

1998-02-19 08:58:05
Subject: Re: Planning for tape requirements for MVS
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:58:05 +0200
Hi Richard,

Adsm will request a standard MVS mount for a tape - if
you do a restore it will be a specific mount or if you are
backing up it might ask for a scratch when the tape is
full.
I don't think there is a priority in the sense that restores
will have a higher priority than backups. In your device
class you set the mount limit - this is how many drives
adsm can use. If the mountlimit is reached it will wait
for a tape drive to become available.
(So it is more a sequential thing - it uses the drives
in the order that the requests come in, whether they
are for backup/restore does not matter).
The management of the tapes ADSM does - we also
use RMM and it works with RMM.
In your device class for your tape drives you specify
how many drives adsm can use and also what the
mountretention should be. If your mountretention
is set to 15Min Adsm will unmount the tape 15Min
after the task that was using it stops using it.

Hope this helps
Regards
Christo Heuer
ABSA Group