ADSM-L

Problems with automounter and ADSM

1998-02-11 12:13:57
Subject: Problems with automounter and ADSM
From: "L. Scott Emmons" <scotte AT CENTER.USCS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:13:57 -0800
Anyone else running the NFS automounter that has experienced problems with
ADSM? Anytime we start a backup or restore operation ADSM forces an
automount of all our 200 automounted NFS directories (don't ask! :-).
Because the automounter creates dynamic mount points in "/tmp_mnt" (and not
in a seperate filesystem), this creates major problems for ADSM. While the
exclude list can exclude files, there is *no* provision for excluding
directories! I.e I have an "exclude /tmp_mnt/.../*" rule. This prevents the
files from being backed up, however every directory is still backed up.

I think these are two things that should be fixed in a future release of
ADSM:

        1> ADSM should be smart enough to know about the automounter.
        2> ADSM should allow excluding of directories.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing, or am I just doing something
wrong that can be easily fixed (without changing our NFS architecture, of
course). As far as a long-term solution goes, is anyone using DFS or AFS in
a similar automounted configuration with better results?

Thanks,
-Scott
    L. Scott Emmons    | CableData R&D Center - El Dorado Hills, CA, USA
Staff Software Engineer|   Special Projects, Systems Development Dept
    (916) 939-6088     |  Views and content are my own, not CableData's