ADSM-L

Failure backing up remote files on MAC

1997-10-31 10:01:19
Subject: Failure backing up remote files on MAC
From: Orlandi Massimo <Orlandi AT ZH DOT CH>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 16:01:19 +0100
Hi to all.

We have a problem backing up remote mounted files on a MacIntosh ADSM client.
If we run an incremental backup against local files, everything works fine. But
using the MAC file services to mount folders from a remote MacIntosh and then
running a incremental backup against these files, causes the local MAC to crash
by displaying the well known "MAC-bombs" and a window with a message
"System-Error 11". We then have to reboot the local computer. The same thing
happens, if we mount folders from a central data repository on a AIX-server
using the AIX-Connection's AT-Services. The only error message we get in the
server's activity log is:

"ANR0481W Session xxx for node yyy terminated - the client did not respond
within 600 seconds"

If we do a selective backup the error does not appear and all selected files
will be backed up correctly.

We have tried to change the values of different parameters of the client option
file (TCPBUFFSIZE, TCPWINDOWSIZE, SLOWINCREMENTAL), but nothing was useful ...

ADSM-Server: Version 2.1.0.5 running on a RS/6000 SP2-node; AIX 4.1.4
ADSM-Client: Version 2.1.0.6 running on a PCI-Power MAC 7500/100; MacOs 7.5.3
German
Communication: TCPIP over 10Mbit Ethernet

How can we avoid this problem ? Any idea ?

Regards

Massimo Orlandi
Baudirektion Kt. Zuerich
Abt. Informatik