ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 18:10:11
Paul, Is your Novell Server doing compression. We ran into that. When
Novell recompress's a file ADSM will see it as changed. We were seeing
a much larger file backup on certain days. When we investigated
further we found that compression was being run every 7th day. And on
that 7th backup he was truly backing up files that had not changed. I
sent IBM a question about this and they told me that ADSM is looking
at the Novell change bit to determine a change for backup. The only
problem is that Novell compression sets this bit to changed when
compression is done to a file. IBM also said that this was Novell's
problem and they needed to not set the change bit on compression.
Needless to say we were quite concerned that we were rolling off good
versions of data just because compression had changed the bit. But IBM
told me "just don't do compression" that will fix it.

Ronnie Craig
State of Texas Comptroller
Austin, Texas
E-Mail  (Ronnie.Craig AT cpa.state.tx DOT us)