ADSM-L

Win95 LFN supt

1996-09-25 09:15:24
Subject: Win95 LFN supt
From: Matt Klett <matt_klett AT KOHLER-CO.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:15:24 EDT
--- Received from KLETT, MATT                       25SEP96  08.16
  -> IBMMAIL.INTERNET      IBM TO INTERNET MAIL GATEWAY
  -> IBMMAIL.INTERNET      IBM TO INTERNET MAIL GATEWAY

Background:

We use a Novell NetWare client to back up to an MVS server.

Some of the workstations on our network are Win95. Of course, the Win95
guys don't use 8.3 names and they store these Long File Name (LFN) files on
the network to be backed up. NetWare and ADSM have no problem with this.

However, when our administrator tries to restore (from a NetWare console)
the Win95 user files, he only sees the 8.3 name. The user doesn't know
what 8.3 file he/she wants, they only know the LFN, so the administrator
has to restore the entire directory.

Question:

What methods are available for an administrator to restore these files
to their NetWare directory and be able to select them by the LFN?

Matt

Matt Klett         MS068
Senior Operating Systems Analyst
Kohler Co.