ADSM-L

Re: Crash on Solaris trying to backup /var/adm/wtmp

1996-09-03 09:19:58
Subject: Re: Crash on Solaris trying to backup /var/adm/wtmp
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 14:19:58 +0100
Dear Andreas,

Thankyou for posting your experiences with the ADSM Solaris 2.5.1 client
and it's problems handling /var/adm/wtmp. I have one client with the same
problem backing up the file (which I did not report).

I also had another client which apparently had backed up this file but got
into severe difficulties when the hard disk was lost and the restoration
failed - the ADSM client crashed.

After a lot of effort and cooperation from the owner of the client, who
was booting from CD to effect a system disk recovery, relying totally on
ADSM to recover the disk, we determined (with client tracing enabled)
that the client was crashing out at the point of attempting to recover
... /var/adm/wtmp!

I did report this to IBM as I consider this to be a serious deficiency and
I too have been fobbed off with the following:

(PMR 2559X):

>   We have several reports of this problem. We also know this was a
> SunOS 2.3 problem. We are not sure if it has resurfaced or if ADSM
> now has a problem. While we are looking at this can you please have
> the customer contact Sun and see if they know anything about this
> issue. For SunOS 2.3 was had taken apar ic05825. Thanks, ...

I too do not think it is up to us to contact Sun about this, and I have
responded to IBM indicating this. I have not heard anything from IBM about
this matter since.

Oh yes, what happened to the client - we did recover, after too many
attempts, by wholly reinstating Solaris from the CD and then overlaying
an ADSM  restore if-newer. This should not have been necessary.

Regards, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275