ADSM-L

NOVELL clients to an ADSM/6000 server

1996-07-03 10:27:20
Subject: NOVELL clients to an ADSM/6000 server
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:27:20 -0500
     Is anyone moving more than aprox. 1.2 GB/hr to novell clients during
     restores... actually I see that during backups and only @ 600 MB/hr
     during restores.
     Path is server>-fddi->router>-fddi->router>-fddi->client
     YES I KNOW IT IS SOMETHING WITH TWEAKING THE PARAMETERS but with my
     @100 clients and 4 terabytes of backed up data and 24x7 operations and
     not getting a test Netframe until ? future ? I just can't really,
     currently, test & tune as much as I need to in order to resolve
     this... and my Novell Admins (running on netframes) has dropped me and
     my groups ADSM service until we can prove we can do better...
     During the last test (which currently takes @ 2-3 weeks to schedule if
     I'm lucky, the network sniffers showed they were @ 40 % busy and my
     adsm server (on that fddi card) and the novell client were neither in
     the top 10 network traffic machines... processors also had basically
     no load...we were doing a 4 GB restore...
     These netframes are running with 120GB (60 GB mirrored) so you can see
     why I need to get the speed up...

     I know this is comparing apples & oranges but I've got other RS/6000's
     that (so accounting records indicate and hard facts of file space
     moved over backup window) run multiple archive sessions with each
     reaching up to 38 GB/hr

     any info would be appreciated...

     later
      Dwight