ADSM-L

Re: attaching multiple tape libraries to ADSM v2.1 on AIX 4.

1996-03-22 10:39:13
Subject: Re: attaching multiple tape libraries to ADSM v2.1 on AIX 4.
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 09:39:13 -0600
Item Subject: attaching multiple tape libraries to ADSM v2.1 on AIX 4.1
     Yep, so true... while waiting on shipment of 3494 & 3590's we used
     exabyte drives in 10 tape stackers.... we were running with two which
     were defined as exabyte_lib1 & exabyte_lib2... THE ONLY NOTE IS....
     I NEVER FOUND A WAY TO FORCE A MOUNT OF A TAPE BELONGING TO ONE
     LIBRARY IN THE OTHER !  We drive the heck out of our units.... total
     file space for nodes is 250+GB's most of which are oracle databases
     thus all space is backed up nightly... well with the quality of 8mm
     drives we were experiencing multiple failures... One day as luck would
     have it one library went south and a client did also...end results was
     to take our only copy of the clients data and stick it in an 8mm drive
     that had just eaten about 2 feet of tape :-(  things turned out OK...
     Brings up a question.... what would be the proper commands to shift a
     tape and its info from one library to another...(and keep the data)
     (even when I checked the tape out of one and into the other then
     issued a restore, it called for a mount in the origional library)
     for some reason I feel like I'll hate myself when I hear the answer to
     this one...

     later
          DWight