ADSM-L

ADSM and DB2 V2 Backup

1996-02-09 10:55:24
Subject: ADSM and DB2 V2 Backup
From: Michel Gaillard <Michel.Gaillard AT VZ.CIT.ALCATEL DOT FR>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 16:55:24 +0100
Hello everybody,

We are using ADSM/VM V1R1 Level 0.15 and daily backup DB2/6000 V1
databases using the db2 command :

db2 backup database foo use adsm       (1)

We have been testing DB2 V2.1 for quiet a while and think about
migrating all the databases to V2.

We did notice a blocking problem concerning the expiration of "inactive
versions" of databases backup with DB2 V2.

In fact we use the same command (1) and it seems to be Okay..

BUT .. the internal ADSM name generated by DB2 thru the API has changed
and now includes a timestamp !!

It means that each time we do a backup we store a different file under a
DIFFERENT NAME !!! and the versioning mechanism of ADSM cannot handle
this : every backup copy remains active whatever happens !!

Personnaly, I think it is an error in the way the DB2 V2 code is
generating the low-level name in the ADSM API.

Am I doing something wrong ? is it a known problem ? Fix available ?

TIA , Michel

--
Michel Gaillard
Michel Gaillard