ADSM-L

IBM3590 SCSI PERFORMANCE

1996-01-09 13:25:06
Subject: IBM3590 SCSI PERFORMANCE
From: Matthias Feyerabend <M.Feyerabend AT GSI DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 19:25:06 +0100
Hello,

we are testing performance on our new IBM 3494 robot with IBM3590 SCSI units
under AIX attached to SP2 with Wide SCSI I/O controller.

ADSM:

With ADSM and archive/restore tasks with single 100 MB we
achieve only 3 MB/s. NO Client compaction, hardware compaction ratio = 1.
            ========

By the way don't trust performance figures in the GUI,
they do not correspond with the rate you get by
dividing filesize by elapsed time.

dd:

The good news is, it is probably not the fault of ADSM, as
using dd with input and output blocksize = 64 KB
and copying local file to tape
we get the same 3 MB/s.
                ======

Questions:

 - Has anybody seen better performance reading or writing to this new device ?
 - What can we do to get better figures ?
   5 MB/s are the rate we need and expected.
   ======
   (See redbook GG24-2506 Magstar and IBM3590 Technical Guide, page
    137: performance upto 11.1 MB/s !!).
                          =========

Thank you for listening

Matthias Feyerabend            phone:    (49) 6159 71-2519
Matthias Feyerabend            phone:    (49) 6159 71-2519
GSI, Darmstadt                 internet: M.Feyerabend AT gsi DOT de