ADSM-L

ADSM REQUIRE.

1995-09-12 08:51:12
Subject: ADSM REQUIRE.
From: WILLIAM R COUGHLIN guser <wcoughlin AT GPU DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 07:51:12 EST
  -> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     MAIL TO EXTERNAL MAIL SYSTEM   IO50C3
Suggestion for future ADSM release:

  Provide the ability for a "checkpoint" on a full restore.
Last night, we started a full restore for an 8GB drive with 30 to
40 thousand files.   After approx. 10,000 files restored, we had
a communications failure on the server (MVS) - did not reconnect
automatically.  On the restart, we told ADSM to skip files that
already existed - all 10,000 of them - this took time that could
have been better spent restoring files.  My suggestion is to
optionally tell ADSM to take a checkpoint every x number of
files (2,000 for example)... ADSM would generate a unique
checkpoint ID that would be kept in sync on the server and the
client.  Then, in a situation similar to mine, I would look up the
lasted checkpoint ID and continue the restore from there - this
would eliminate the overhead of checking for files that were
just restored.  After the full restore is completed, the checkpoint
files on the server and client could be deleted.  While this
doesn't seem too critical now, it will become so as the size
of the drives increases.
                                     Bill Coughlin
                                     GPU Service Corp.
                                     wcoughlin AT gpu DOT com